8. Create a list of all the positive things your eating disorder has given you.
- Temporarily, it gave me a “socially acceptable” body shape and size. (Very, VERY temporarily.)
- Feelings of pride and achievement, which were later overcome by feelings of shame.
- Approval from others.
- I was able to shop in the junior section and wear brands I’d desperately wanted to as a pre-teen, but couldn’t fit into to.
- I met a lot of people I probably wouldn’t have otherwise, and connected with those in my life also struggling, in a new, and at times more intimate way. Unfortunately, a few of these relationships were more harmful than helpful. (Fortunately, these relationships ended.)
(Some of the questions, like 6 and 7, I plan to come back to. Maybe…)